I had the pleasure of being a partner and publisher for The In-Depth Genealogist for 6 years. During that time, I edited and designed the monthly magazine, Going In-Depth. The magazine was focused on providing information for all levels of genealogy enthusiasts and was written by a team of writers. Each issue was edited and published by our team and the covers were all photos of people who are unidentified. I hoped that someday a cover would look familiar to someone and the mystery of who they are would be resolved. I enjoyed reading the articles and learned so much from the contributors. It was a lot of hard work and a real joy for me to work on the magazine every month. Sadly, we closed the doors on our business in December 2019 as it was no longer profitable and possible to continue.
- Curated, Edited, and Created Layouts for each issue which included approximately 48 to 72 pages.
- Initially published as a PDF on Issuu.com, then as a PDF for download, and then was available for purchase as a paperback or a compilation of the year in hardback.
- This work included the use of Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft Word, Publisher, Adobe InDesign, and Photoshop to develop a process that incorporated the 19 different contributors from all over the world.
- Developed a publication schedule for contributors to follow.
- Each image used in the magazine was examined for potential copyright issues and credited whenever possible.
Below are a few of the covers of the magazine that I have designed.
I also had the pleasure of working as the Associate Editor for the Federation of Genealogical Societies’ publication FORUM. I assisted with editing and layout for four issues.