Here it is October and I’ve not checked on my goals since June!
General Genealogy Goals
1. Attend the Ohio Genealogical Conference in Cleveland, Ohio (April 12-14). I decided not to attend this year.
2. Attend the National Family History Conference in Cincinnati, Ohio (May 9-12). Yes, I was able to go! It was a fun experience and I’m still absorbing all that I was able to learn there.
3. Visit the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana and learn about the resources available there. Completed in March with the Geneabloggers and I am returning in just a few weeks! I’m working on my research plan for the visit. There are so many things I want to do. I could probably spend an entire week there.
4. Finish the Advanced Jewish Genealogy Coursework that I began in November. I’ve made some more progress… I’m about 90% done.
5. Take the courses that I won last year through the Family Tree Magazine. I have watched/ listened to some of the courses that I won- Amateur Photo Restoration, At Home with the Family Archivist, Digital Preservation for the 21st Century, Digitize Your Family Documents, Many Names of Jewish Genealogy, Finding Your East European Village. There are 13 more to go! I’ve learned a lot and have some great resources that I didn’t know about before. Can’t wait to see what else comes!
6. Finish reading the Jewish Genealogy book that I bought last year. I’m about 2/3 through the book. Slow but sure progress.
7. Finish the Methodology Part 1 course through the National Institute for Genealogical Studies. I hope to do this in the fall, but I need to contact them about getting it restarted.
8. Attend the Midwestern Roots Conference in Indianapolis, Indiana (July 20-21). Registered, but ended up staying home to acclimate a new kitty into the fold. Welcome to Karma!
2. Promote my blog on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Yes Twitter & Facebook have been fun. Haven’t done much with Google+. If only it was integrated into Hootsuite I could more easily publish to it.
3. Invite others to write as guests on my blog. Here’s one that I should really try to do.
3. Become active in the Licking County Genealogical Society and volunteer in the library. I’ve joined the group and volunteered to help with the website. They haven’t contacted me yet though– guess I better bug them!
Interview the older generations in my family about their memories growing up. Use pictures to spur stories about relatives that I know little about. Record these interviews to digital audio for later reference and sharing. I have stalled on this one! I need to line up a time to speak with my Cousin Marcia and Uncle Mike. Maybe even my Aunt Toni!
Specific questions and goals for the family lines that I’d like to examine this year…
1. Find out more about Margaret Maude Nolan Morse McGraw. According to my Great Uncle, she was married once before she met George Frederick Morse. Was Nolan her maiden name or was it her 1st married name? While at the ACPL I was able to work on this question. I still need to pursue some more leads on this and request some marriage records to confirm/ disprove my findings.
2. Who was George Frederick Morse married to before Margaret? My Great Uncle said he was married once before… who was she? No progress on this one yet.
3. What happened to Arthur Morse’s daughter Helena Irene? No progress on this one yet.
4. Join the Morse Family Genealogical Society. I joined and wish I could go to their reunion hosted every two years. Maybe next time!?
1. Find out more about Alex/ Ellye Kriger in Belarus. Was he born there or elsewhere? When & where was he buried? No progress on this one yet.
2. Did Myer Krueger have any siblings? According to my grandma there was a sister in Minnesota that married and had several children. When did she come to America? Some progress on this, but still have to confirm that the family I found is actually related to my great grandpa.
3. Where is Sophia/ Zipe Soloman Krueger buried and when did she die? Where was she born? Did she have any siblings besides Sarah Soloman Shon? No progress on this one yet.
1. Did Samuel Hirsch Engel have any siblings? Did his family remain in Slovakia? No progress on this one yet.
1. Find out more about my dad’s half-brother Kenny and Kenny’s mother. Where did they end up & is Kenny still alive? Thanks to my good friend Amy Crow I think we’ve got a decent lead on where he may be living now. It’s up to dad now to decide what to do with the information. Kenny’s mother died quite young under questionable circumstances. My cousin may find out more if possible.
2. Find out more about Naomi Reynolds Alford’s family and whether any more pictures are “out there”. I had the pleasure of meeting my second cousin Suzanne and finding out more about the Reynolds family and got some more pictures! What a treat!
3. Join the Alford Family Association. I think this will be delayed until next year.
1. Find out where in Ireland the Cliffords came from originally. No progress on this one yet.